Monday, June 21

Bobby Pins

I remember when bobby pins were really uncool. When I was in elementary school, it was all about scrunchies and clips and barrettes. No bobby pins. We thought of bobby pins as being outdated and for old ladies- but I have no idea why. Being in ballet classes, I couldn't really escape using bobby pins to secure my slicked back, hairsprayed bun, and that was okay since everyone in ballet class also wore bobby pins. I guess I kind of realized that bobby pins were accepted in the ballet world. But what was awful was when my two worlds crossed- like when I saw friends from school after a dance show, or when our dance classes would do performances at other elementary schools. I was so embarrassed about having bobby pins in my hair! How strange. I also remember how weird it felt to move out of that bobby pin shunning age. For the most part, I only avoided bobby pins because they were socially "uncool," even though I knew how useful they were after having to wear them since I was 4. It was in junior high school that I began to wear bobby pins to school if I needed to. At first I was afraid, but I kind of just embraced it. And now girls of all ages wear bobby pins all the time! Bobby pins are cool now- (or at least accepted)- and they come in all different colors, designs, sizes, some even have little decorations on them like beads or flowers or rhinestones. I'm boggled by how groups develop unspoken rules about things like bobby pins.. Needless to say, I'm glad I no longer think bobby pins are uncool. I use them all the time. And if you don't believe me, you can come look at my bedroom or my dorm- there's always like 50 of them on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment