Wednesday, April 28

CSULB Film

As many of you know, I climbed a pretty big step last week as a college student. After 2 years of wishy-washy-ness in the realm of "choosing a major," I finally have one that I can own.

In January of this year, I submitted my application to the CSU Long Beach Film Department in hopes that I would be accepted into their Production Option. The group they select is based on GPA, a personal statement, a critical essay, 2 letters of recommendation, and an artistic project that shows ones capabilities and promise. I was very fortunate to have 2 beloved teachers, whom I highly esteem, write my letters of recommendation. Both gave me the chance to prove myself and grow as a student, and enabled me to own my capacity for leadership and creativity. I am ever grateful for their kindness in this process.

I decided that for my "artistic project" I would shoot a music video of sorts- but not like VH1 or MTV. I wanted to tell a story [or at least part of one] through the creative use of imagery in both cinematography and symbolism. That's fancy-talk for "I wanted to tell a story and make it look pretty." Coming up on winter break, I didn't have a CLUE as to what song I would use or what story I would tell. The submission deadline was January 15th, so I had about 4 weeks to get it together [yikes and a half]. On my drive from Long Beach to Modesto in December, I was skipping through track after track on my ipod, trying to find something that struck me.

I was on the grapevine pass when I kind of gave up, and put on a very familiar mix CD a friend had given me. I had listened to "Your Ex-Lover is Dead" so many times in Long Beach, but this time the song sounded new, and my whole video just kind of created itself in my head- the story, the type of shots I wanted, the props, the colors, the people. And I listened to that song for about 2 hours on repeat just to solidify it all in my mind.

So over break, I recruited a cast (2 of my best friends), got a crew (my family), designed costumes (Target...), bought a bunch of paint (boo yah), and made the video I submitted: Catharsis.

catharsis : [noun] the process of releasing, and thereby providing relief from, strong or repressed emotions
(it's what the story is about).

To retain some professionalism, I waited to post Catharsis to the internet until I had heard from the Film Program regarding the status of my application. Last Thursday, I was informed that, along with 48 others, my application was accepted and I would be a part of the incoming Production Option class :)

So- below this paragraph is my video. (Yeah, I know it's tiny- and kind of pixely- and I hesitate to show you because of those things. Nevertheless-). Know as you watch it that the intent of this project was to show both creativity and promise (not necessarily professionalism). Yes I exerted much effort into making it as professional as possible, and most everything you see was intentionally done, but with very little formal film education to own to, this is purely rudimentary, purely student (so all you film buffs- extend some grace!) :D

[VIDEO CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION - NOT AVAILABLE AT THIS TIME]

4 comments:

  1. Everything I said before still applies-sweet vid Rachel! And let me add that I'm looking forward to future features from my newest film major friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel -- this is amazing.
    It really moved me. You are a great filmmaker already :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so blessed that you asked me to help you with this. It was such a blast...you are a bomb director and a master with a camera.
    I love you. I am so proud. You are a light, and God's creativity is so shown through you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oof. i don't know what words to even find about this. all i can picture in my head is this extremely beautiful, fulfilling future for you and your life. you are wonderful. literally. full of wonder.

    ReplyDelete